Monday 1 February 2010

French onion soup

This was inspired by Kelanjo19. Kelly is one of my favourite youtubers, and I am always inspired by her videos. Whilst I did not follow her recipe, she gave me the idea of digging out my own and trying it for the first time. I am sure Kelly’s is just as delicious, and likely to be much lower in calories. I didn’t have it to hand at the time, but I definitely will try it.
Here is what I used:
700g onions (sliced thinly)
2 tblsp olive oil
50g butter
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1/2 tsp sugar
2 pints beef stock
salt and pepper to taste.
For the croutons:
French baguette (cut into 1inch thick slices)
1 tblsp olive oil
1 garlic clove (crushed)
225g cheese (grated Gruyère)
Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4 (180°C/350°F)
To make the croutons you need to spread the oil over a baking sheet. and then sprinkle the garlic over this. Place the bread on the tray and then turn over to ensure both sides are coated. These should be popped in the oven for about 25 mins until crispy. (Be careful here there is a thin line between crispy and burnt!)
You need to heat a large saucepan on high heat and melt the butter and oil. Then add the onions garlic and sugar. Stir and turn these occasionally til the edges of the onions darken (about 5 mins) Reduce the heat and continue cooking for about 30 mins. Poor in the stock and stir well. Turn the heat up again and once it starts simmering turn it right back down to the lowest heat setting.
Cook without the lid for about an hour.
Sprinkle the bread with the cheese and place under the grill. Float these on top of the portion of soup.
Absolutely gorgeous!
What is your favourite soup?
K x

No comments:

Post a Comment